- XCP-ng on tracks (22 Jan 2018)
What is XCP-ng?
XCP (Xen Cloud Platform) was the free/libre equivalent of XenServer before this last one was open sourced. It was logically shutdown then.
But since XenServer 7.3 removed a lot of free features, we need a community solution again: XCP-ng is now the logical successor.
Who is doing this?
Unlike original XCP, this project is NOT backed by Citrix. This is a 100% community project. Current contributors:
- Olivier Lambert (from Xen Orchestra project)
- John Else
- Nick Couchman
- Jon Sands
- Mike Hidalgo
Want to join us? Ask!
What’s the goal?
The main goal is to be able to enjoy Xenserver power (XAPI/features) with a real community backed solution (not “one company dependent”). So it should be:
- 99,99% compatible with XenServer (as possible): ie being able to transfer VMs from XS to XCP-ng and vice-versa
- 99,99% compatible with Open Source management solutions (like Xen Orchestra)
- A well-documented build process, such that the product can be built by anyone from source.
- Builds that are completely independent of any Citrix/XenServer binary (RPM) repositories.
How can I help?
Direct (technical) help
We need people with experience on these fields:
- Software build and packaging, initially focused on CentOS-based RPMs and SRPMs
- XAPI and OCaml
- Deep XenServer knowledge
Main contributors will be compensated to make the initial build/doc/process working. This cost time and money, contribution will be welcome!
Testing releases will be also a great help.
These are very early/initial estimations. Consider it as more indicative data.
Phase I: XCP initial prototype
- Find and document the build process up to working ISO
- Verify successful install from ISO
- Working XenServer-compatible environment without feature restrictions
- patch XAPI to remove feature checks
- build XAPI RPM with the patch (using SRPM)
- bundle an ISO with everything (modified XAPI + other modifications to XenServer ISO)
Estimated cost: 6k€ (approx 15 man-day at 400€/day rate)
Estimated release date: Q1 2018
Phase II: RPM repo and meta package
- update phase I xcp-ng from
- turn a CentOS into a XCP-ng ready host
- create a RPM repo
- create a meta package
- automate the process to put relevent packages there
- avoid conflicts with existing CentOS packages (pinning?)
Estimated cost: between 12k€ and 24k€ (30 to 60 man-day)
Estimated release date: Q2 2018
Phase III: adding extra stuff
- ZFS driver
- Ceph (RBD) driver
- Gluster driver
- S3-compatible driver
- better compression